Monday, January 30, 2012

Biliary Atresia

I had my utrasound and liver biopsy this morning. I am only 4 months old but I am very brave. I am in my room already recovering from the minor operation. I only cry because I am hungry. I am not allowed to drink milk yet.

The doctor found out that I have Biliary Atresia. This is a life-threatening disease that damages the liver of newborns. It occurs in 1 of every 10,000 babies. My parents were told that my liver did not fully develop. My bile duct is missing. The bile duct connects the liver to the small intestines which is responsible for draining bile from the liver. 

I was supposed to undergo Kasai procedure (hepato-portoenterostomy). Unfortunately, upon seeing the condition of my liver, the Doctor advised that I undergo liver transplantation. A huge amount of money is needed for the operation to push through. Luckily, my mother is a potential donor. What we need now is to raise funds to pay for the cost of the procedure. We need to prepare at least P2,500,000 ($60,000). I cannot count yet but I'm sure a lot of money is involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment